The Collaborative Access Center “Testing Center of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials” (TC NTAM) was organized in 2008 to perform scientific research at a modern level. TC NTAM has unique and expensive equipment and comprises the following 7 departments:
- Pulsed Magnetic Field Center,
- Cryo-technological Center,
- Magnetometry Center,
- Strong Magnetic Field Center,
- Very Low Temperature Center,
- Chemical-analytical Center,
- Electron Microscopy Center.
The Collaborative Access Center “Testing Center of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials” operates in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of metrology and standardization, regulations of the Government of the Russian Federation, orders and decrees of the RAS, the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Statute of the Centre, approved by V.N. Charushin, a Member of RAS and the Chairperson of the Ural Branch of RAS.
TC NTAM has passed the procedure of state accreditation and takes necessary steps to expand the scope of accreditation and measuring capacity for core activities.
The main activities of TC NTAM are analytical execution of fundamental and applied research in the field of physical properties of materials, primarily of solids, metals, alloys, nanomaterials and nanostructures within research programs carried out not only by the Institute of Metal Physics but also by other organizations of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, various industry enterprises and research institutes of the Ural region. The Collaborative Access Center “Testing Center of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials” provides analytical support to federal, regional and international projects and programs, as well as analytical and metrological support to the development and implementation of products of high technologies, innovations and science-absorbing industry.
Today TC NTAM offers the following services of research and testing (measuring) of samples and various products:
- electron microscopy;
- magnetic and galvanomagnetic measurement methods;
- taking measurements in pulsed and strong static magnetic fields and under ultralow temperatures.
The Collaborative Access Center “Testing Center of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials” conducts mechanical testing of samples and products, including measurement of mechanical properties at the nanoscale; performs X-ray diffraction (XRD), chemical and spectral analysis of substances and materials. For the tests and measurements, TC NTAM has all needed equipment.
TC NTAM works at the request of IMP UB RAS and on the orders of third parties. In the last case, the Institute of Metal Physics regularly concludes agreements on cooperation.
The Collaborative Access Center “Testing Center of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials” has carried out researches using its equipment for the following organizations:
- Institutes of the Ural Branch of RAS: the Institute of Engineering, the Institute of Electrophysics, the Institute of Metallurgy, the Institute of Solid Chemistry, the Institute of HighTemperature Electrochemistry;
- Other domestic academic institutions: the Institute of Metallurgy and Materials of RAS (Moscow), the Institute of Radio-engineering and Electronics (Moscow);
- Domestic universities: the Ural Federal University (Yekaterinburg), the Ural State Economy University, the South Ural State University (Chelyabinsk), the Ufa State Aviation Technical University (Ufa), the State Technological University – Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys (Moscow).
All of the research are performed by highly qualified personnel. The number of TC NTAM’s employees amounts to 66, including 3 Dr.Sc. and 20 Cand.Sc. both in Physics and Mathematics and in Engineering, highly-qualified specialists applying the unique equipment, and young employees that are constantly improving their skills.
One of the objectives of the Center is to provide teaching services to students, postgraduates, and probationers, to upgrade qualification of specialist-users of the analytical instruments, and to furnish testing of new methods to investigate various materials. Here, the reader can find examples of the works and the employees’ publications.
The Collaborative Access Center “Testing Center of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials” certifies the measurement procedures (methods) in accordance with GOST R 8.563-2009, “NUMAS (National Uniform Measurement Assurance System). Measurement techniques (methods).” To date, there is a list of seven certified methods of measurements. Also, it has been working to adopt GOST R ISO/IEC 170025 “General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories”.